US app usage spikes on Thanksgiving to the tune of more than 1.2 billion app starts
If you live in the US and own an iPhone or iPad, there's a really good chance you booted up an app or two on Thanksgiving weekend this year. In fact, there's a better chance you used an app this year on Thanksgiving than any year prior, with more than 1.2 billion app start-ups initiated according to new data from Flurry Analytics. For comparison, Thanksgiving weekend last year didn't even break 800 million app starts.
So why the spike? Well, Flurry's data shows that Thanksgiving is a huge time for smartphone usage, which can be attributed to travel, cooking, football and a host of other common Thanksgiving traditions. This year, however, both media apps (music, video and camera apps) and games were used more than the previous two years, while travel apps were used less than in 2011 or 2012, possibly due to an untimely winter storm.
What did you use your smartphone for while relaxing with some turkey and stuffing this year?
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync