Coursera lets you learn on the go with new iPhone app
Coursera debuted its iPhone app on Tuesday, bringing more than 500 free courses to mobile devices for the first time. Coursera is an up-and-coming online learning platform known for its MOOCs (Massive Open Online Course). These courses are open to thousands of students at once and foster collaboration between students through peer-graded assignments and other interactive tools.
Coursera offers courses for free in a variety of disciplines that cover everything from the arts to engineering. Each course features video tutorials from respected university professors and online quizzes to measure your progress. You can enroll in a course for free, but you have to pay if you want official credit for completing a course.
Once a web-only platform, the new Coursera app brings most of the features of the website to your iPhone. You can browse and enroll in courses from your iPhone. You also can watch course video lectures either by streaming them over a cellular connection or downloading them to your device. It's perfect for anyone who wants to fill their spare time with educational activities. I know if I was commuting, I would be firing up Coursera to learn about Medical Neuroscience instead of just staring idly out the window.
The Coursera app is available for free from the iOS App Store. You will need to sign up for a Coursera account if you want to access the material on your mobile device.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync