Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype
Viber Media, the company behind the popular cross-platform messaging and VoIP app Viber, has released version 4.1 of its iOS app today, which sees the company aggressively going after Skype with a new feature called Viber Out. Previously, Viber's competitors were messaging apps on iOS like iMessages, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. With today's update for iOS, however, Viber allows iOS users to call any landline or mobile number from within the app.
Viber Out lets Viber users from all over the world call EVERYONE (even if they are not Viber users). Now you can use Viber with your mobile device or desktop and call your loved ones, colleagues and friends, while enjoying awesome rates!
How does it work?
1. Launch Viber on your iPhone or Android phone
2. Buy Viber Out credit
3. Dial the number
4. Start talking!
What's more, Viber Out allows users to set their iPhone phone number as their caller ID when they call landline or other mobile numbers from the Viber app. This way, the user on the receiving end will know who is calling them. Additionally, Viber Out's prices are significantly cheaper than Skype's offerings. Calls to Mexico are almost 500 percent more expensive on Skype than on Viber and calls to the US are more than 100 percent more expensive on Skype than on Viber.
Viber is a free download.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter