Fun App Store facts from Distimo's 2013 Year in Review
If you're too busy with last-minute holiday shopping to pore over Distimo's all-encompassing year-end App Store breakdown, we've got a handy list of the most interesting takeaways. Let's get to it!
- The percentage of overall App Store revenue generated by free apps with in-app purchases increased from 77 percent to 92 percent from January to November.
- About 90 percent of revenue generated from games came from free-to-play titles, while just 8 percent came from paid apps.
- Two of the top three free apps come from Google (YouTube at No. 2, and Google Maps at No. 3), making Google the most downloaded publisher in the App Store.
- Candy Crush Saga was the most downloaded app in 2013.
- More people downloaded Despicable Me: Minion Rush than downloaded Facebook this year.
- Eight of the top 10 paid apps were games, but the No. 1 overall paid download was a messaging app (WhatsApp Messenger).
- Clash of Clans managed to make more money this year than Candy Crush Saga.
- Disney was the top paid app publisher, with Temple Run: Oz leading the charge.
- People still love apps. A lot.*
*This is the biggest takeaway.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free