Lenovo acquires Motorola and some of its patents and other news from Jan. 29, 2013
The big news this evening comes not from the Apple world, but from rival Google as it sells off Motorola to Lenovo for US$2.91 billion. Lenovo will get the chance to gain a foothold in the US market, and Google will hold onto most of Motorola's patent portfolio. Still, a good 2,000 of those patents and a license on the rest will go to Lenovo, The Verge reported. Motorola and Apple clashed over these patents a number of times, and it'll be interesting to see how the landscape will change now that Lenovo holds some of these assets.
Other news from Wednesday afternoon includes:
- Chinese iPhone users got an iOS update geared toward fixing network issues.
- Evernote has given its servers a boost, which has resulted in speedier syncing. How fast? Up to four times faster, Evernote says. Its apps will be upgraded to take advantage of the improved syncing.
- Virgin Mobile is determined to prove it won't be left behind in the iPhone sales game. It's offering a nonsubsidized iPhone 5c for $359.99 and iPhone 5s for $459.99. You'll pay roughly $200 more if you go with any other carrier, as well as Apple itself.
- Apple's new retail head Angela Ahrendts is already is bringing in the honors before she even starts at Apple. She is being named a Dame of the British Empire. Melinda Gates also is receiving the honor.
- Oops! If you're missing some emails between Jan. 12 and 21, you might want to check your spam and trash folders. A Gmail bug was causing legit emails to be trashed or spammed alongside the ones you meant to delete.
- 9to5Mac noticed a glitch on iCloud.com that indicates iCloud bookmarks that can be viewed on any browser could be coming in the near future.
Kick back and relax with these features:
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature