Here's how to download Facebook Paper even if you don't live in the US
Last week we told you about Paper, Facebook's standalone newsreader/storytelling app. Today Paper launched as an iOS-exclusive app. But beyond being iOS-exclusive, the app is also apparently US-exclusive. Our sister site TechCrunch has offered up a handy workaround that will allow you to download the app if you're locked out based on something as silly as where you live.
This trick only works because it's a free app, so keep your eye on the prize and don't go trying to download paid apps that aren't available in your country.
- Go to the App Store.
- Go to "Apple ID:"
- Log in with your password as you normally would.
- Once you've logged in, go to your settings, find "country," then "change country or region" and change your country to "United States."
- Click "none" when it asks you for payment information.
- Search for Paper, download it, then change your country back to wherever you're from. Voila! You've got Paper, at least until Facebook updates the app with a region lock.
We'll have a review of Paper up soon. In the meantime, let us know what you think of the app in the comments below once you've gotten a chance to give it a spin.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update
- Today in the App Store -- the best free apps, new apps and app updates