FiftyThree isn't happy with Facebook's Paper and other news from Feb. 3, 2014
There's a new Paper in town, and it's not the iOS drawing app. Facebook has released its iOS-exclusive revamp of its news feed using the name "Paper," and FiftyThree, the maker behind the first iOS app bearing that moniker, is not happy.
FiftyThree released a statement on Monday briefly discussing Paper's two years on the App Store and the subsequent confusion from users when Facebook announced its own Paper app. Although Facebook has apologized, FiftyThree's co-founder Georg Petschnigg beseeched the social media behemoth to change the name of its newly launched app.
There's a simple fix here. We think Facebook can apply the same degree of thought they put into the app into building a brand name of their own. An app about stories shouldn't start with someone else's story. Facebook should stop using our brand name.
On a personal level we have many ties to Facebook. Many friends, former students and colleagues are doing good work at Facebook. One of Facebook's board members is an investor in FiftyThree. We're a Facebook developer, and Paper supports sharing to Facebook where close to 500,000 original pages have been shared. Connections run deep.
Petschnigg told the New York Times that Facebook informed him that they would continue the launch as planned.
Other news from Monday afternoon includes:
- Pebble has updated its iOS app to include access to its newly launched app store. The store has more than 1,000 watchfaces and apps for the Pebble smartwatch.
- A newly filed patent lawsuit takes aim at Apple's A7 processor. The Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation claims that the processor infringes on work done by scientists at the University of Wisconsin - Madison and filed via a 1998 patent.
- AT&T has announced cheaper monthly plans for families, but as always, there's a catch. To get the best deals, you either have to pay full price for a smartphone or sign up for AT&T Next.
Kick back and relax with these features:
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter