Download this Adobe Flash update now, and other news for Feb. 5, 2014
Adobe has released a "critical" update for Flash that addresses a zero day exploit that allows hackers to gain complete control of a Mac or Windows system. And people wonder why Steve Jobs and Apple disliked Adobe Flash so much? In a security bulletin Adobe posted online, it said:
Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player 220.127.116.11 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh and Adobe Flash Player 18.104.22.1685 and earlier versions for Linux. These updates address a critical vulnerability that could potentially allow an attacker to remotely take control of the affected system.
Adobe is aware of reports that an exploit for this vulnerability exists in the wild, and recommends users update their product installations to the latest versions.
Mac users can check what version of Adobe Flash is running on their system by using this tool. The current, secure version (as of the time of this writing) is 22.214.171.124. Older versions put your system at risk. Users can manually download the latest version of Flash here.
In other news:
- Apple has released the fifth beta of iOS 7.1. The latest beta sees continued tweaks to iOS 7, some of which appeared in earlier betas. Noticeable changes include new Siri voices for UK and Australian English, Japanese and Mandarin Chinese. The shift key on iOS 7's keyboard has also received a redesign.
- Speaking of that iOS 7.1 beta 5... Apple has made it impossible to jailbreak iOS 7.1 using Evasi0n.
- Apple has also released a new beta of OS X Server 3.1. Developers can download it here.
- The Economic Times is reporting that Apple has already begun manufacturing on the iPhone 4 again. It says Apple is going to use the phone's lower pricing to regain lost market share in India, Indonesia and Brazil.
- When meeting with the Turkish president yesterday, Tim Cook confirmed that a "unique" flagship Apple Store will open in Istanbul in the future.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features