Apple introduces CarPlay (Updated)
Early Monday morning Apple introduced CarPlay, which offers a new way to integrate iOS 7 and your car (select models).
Set to debut in 2014, CarPlay will let users make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music, all from their car's built-in display. Several apps will be supported at launch, including Podcasts, Beats Music, Spotify, iHeartRadio and Stitcher.
Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo will showcase CarPlay at next week's Geneva International Motor Show. Meanwhile, BMW, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota will make future vehicles CarPlay-compatible.
Update: Volvo has produced a video that gives a brief demo of CarPlay in action.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter