comiXology is being bought by Amazon
comiXology has made waves over the years by providing a high quality digital solution for comic book fans. Its revolutionary Guided View™ mode allow readers to view a comic panel-by-panel on mobile devices that previously weren't suitable for comic books. Even with concerns about censorship on the app on Apple devices, comiXology is the go-to source for comics on iOS.
Today Amazon announced that it is in the process of purchasing comiXology. Details of the acquisition haven't been disclosed, but the deal is expected to be finalized in the second quarter of 2014. In a statement, Amazon Vice President David Naggar praised the company as a like-minded business:
comiXology was one of the top 10 grossing apps for iPad in 2011 and 2012, and the top grossing non-game iPad app in 2012 and 2013. So don't worry, superhero fans -- given its profitability, this sale is unlikely to affect iOS users in any way.
"Amazon and comiXology share a passion for reinventing reading in a digital world. We've long admired the passion comiXology brings to changing the way we buy and read comics and graphic novels. We look forward to investing in the business, growing the team, and together, bringing comics and graphic novels to even more readers."
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync