Dropbox acquires Loom and other news from April 17, 2014
Dropbox is continuing to swallow up other companies, this time acquiring photo storage site Loom. Loom emerged as an alternative to EverPix after its demise in late 2013, and I gave it a try for a few months. A review for TUAW was in my queue when the acquisition was announced.
Loom was a pretty good service, though I had some syncing issues that eventually caused me to drop it. The customer service, however, was stellar, and Loom was adding new features constantly that made it far more useful than when I first tried it in November. Loom cited Dropbox's new Carousel as one of the reasons behind joining the Dropbox team, and Loom is a fantastic fit for Dropbox.
Loom users can continue to use the service until May 16, but existing users already were sent instructions on how to migrate their photos to Dropbox with no service interruption. Free users will receive an equal amount of free space on Dropbox. Paid users will get the same amount of paid space on Dropbox for free for a year. Users also can request copies of their entire library -- albums and all -- in one zip file.
Other news from Thursday afternoon includes:
- In the market for a Hyundai Sonata? Some 2015 models will include Apple's CarPlay.
- This is really cool. A new air purifier from Honeywell will send pollen and mold alerts to your iPhone. You also can control the device through the app.
- Head to RadioShack today if you want a great deal on a 16 GB iPhone 5s. With a 2-year contract, you can get the 5s for $99 or free if you trade in an iPhone 4s.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync