Facebook fires at Shazam, adds song recognition tool to app
Facebook is no stranger to replicating popular apps within its own walls -- Poke, for example, is a stab at Snapchat. Now, according to a post on the official Facebook new blog, the social network will get a Shazam-like feature for song and television recognition, allowing you to identify and then post about a song, TV show, or movie from within a status update.
The feature will be an opt-in addition, so you'll have to enable it for it to be available. Once you've agreed, the app will attempt to ID the audio from various media and allow you to tag it within your status update.
When sharing songs, you'll be able to provide a 30-second preview of the tune for your friends when posting the update, though the feature will simply note that you're watching a TV show or movie if you happen to be.
No word on a precise launch was given, but the new feature is noted as arriving "in the coming weeks" to both the iOS and Android Facebook apps.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration