Apple's iBeacon -- whether it's a future product that will work with HomeKit or just a device for use at the company's own retail outlets -- has an official product number: A1573. The sharp-eyed folks at Securifi, who have just started shipping their Almond+ Gigabit Wi-Fi Router and Smart Home...
At Macworld/iWorld 2014, I made a presentation on the part that Siri could play in the home automation revolution. Some of the key points I made were that iOS 7 and Siri really couldn't do too much at the current time without assistance from third-party tools such as IFTTT, and that Apple would...
With the introduction of HomeKit and the Honeywell Lyric, a Nest acquisition by Apple would have been foolish
Google's $3.2 billion acquisition of Nest was interesting on a number of fronts. Not only did it result in a slew of ex-Apple employees finding themselves under the employ of Google, but it also prompted many to wonder, "Why didn't Apple buy Nest?" After all, on paper it appeared that an...
You can already use your iOS device to control compatible devices in your home such as the garage door, thermostat and lighting. Currently each of these services are controlled by their own app, each with its own way of doing things from networking to security. Apple thought it could make things a...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options