Verizon Sells 2 Million iPhone 4 Units in Third Quarter 2011

On a recent Friday, Verizon Wireless disclosed its financial results for the third quarter of 2011, revealing that it had sold 2 million iPhones during the quarter, contributing to a total of 6.5 million iPhones sold throughout the year. Despite these impressive numbers, Verizon still lags behind AT&T, which activated 2.7 million iPhone 4 devices in the same period. Verizon noted that 20% of these sales were to new customers, while the remaining 80% were upgrades or renewals by existing subscribers.

The sales figure for this quarter marks a decrease from earlier in the year.

During the initial six weeks following its release, Verizon sold 2.2 million iPhone 4 handsets, marking its most successful smartphone launch to date. The company also managed to sell 2.3 million iPhones in the second quarter of 2011. The drop to 2 million in the third quarter suggests that many customers opted to wait for the release of the iPhone 4S instead of purchasing the iPhone 4.

Overall, Verizon’s sales account for approximately 11% of the total 55.97 million iPhone 4 units Apple has sold.

In comparison, AT&T has sold 9.9 million iPhone units within the same nine-month period. These statistics do not include the iPhone 4S, which saw remarkable sales, with four million units sold in just three days following its launch. While Verizon did not provide specific figures for iPhone 4S sales, the company indicated that the demand was robust, exhausting their initial stock within the first 24 hours and placing the iPhone 4S on backorder.

.
Share This Article
Cory

Thomas is a dedicated writer for TUAW, bringing insightful news and updates about Apple products to readers. With a deep understanding of the Apple ecosystem, Thomas covers everything from the latest iPhone and iPad releases to MacBook innovations and Apple Watch features. His clear and engaging writing style helps readers stay informed about the tech world. Thomas’s expertise and enthusiasm for Apple products make him a valuable contributor to the TUAW team.