Flickr Find: Grampa Mac Portable, meet the baby MacBook Air
It's hard to look at Patrick McCarron's snapshot of -- how many generations? Hard to count -- many generations of mobile computing development and 22 years of Macintoshes on the move without being a little bit awed. The Mac Portable, 1989's answer to getting things done on the go, seems simultaneously quaint and grotesque next to the sleek and dramatically faster MacBook Air. A trackball! That keyboard, that screen! And the floppy drive -- while the newest member of the family doesn't even sport a built-in optical drive. I don't even want to think about how many iPads would fit inside that case.
You've come a long way, baby. Here's to another 21 years of portable computing, Apple style.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options