Turn your iPhone into an NES-style controller for free
Back in April we told you about Joypad, the US$1.99 app that lets you use your iPod touch or iPhone as a classic joystick controller for game emulators on your Mac. It works by connecting to your computer via Bluetooth once users have also downloaded the Joypad Connect software for their Mac or PC. Joypad has caught on among gamers and now the app is a free download.
The free app comes with Game Boy Advance, NES, SNES, Genesis and N64 gamepad skins. Users can buy additional skins for $0.99 each, including Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, Famicom, and others. Developers can also download the Joypad SDK, which will allow them to enable their iOS games to work with the app (Unity support is coming). Current iOS games that offer JoyPad support include Meganoid, Stardash, Arcade Jumper, Super Drill Panic, Ghost Ninja: Zombie Beatdown, Ninja USA, Vertex Blaster, Super Mega Worm, Lars, Plum Crazy, Emerald Mine and Space Falcon Reloaded Free. A few Mac games, like Mos Speedrun (which also supports the iCade) are also supported.
Joypad is a free download on the App Store.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature