Report: Apple has purchased mapping company Poly9
Apple's been on a bit of a shopping spree lately. French-Canadian newspaper cyberpresse.ca is reporting that Apple has purchased the online mapping company Poly9. The paper reports that many of Poly9's employees have been moved to California, and that their website is no longer online.
One of Poly9's products was Poly9 Globe, which presented a zoomable, cross-browser globe that could be rotated and manipulated by the user. You can see it in action here at Skype. If this rumor turns out to be true, it will be the 2nd maps-related purchase Apple has made lately. You'll remember the company grabbed Placebase last year.
What's up with Apple's sudden interest in cartography? I'm sure we'll find out via a future software update.
Apple's been on a bit of a shopping spree lately. French-Canadian newspaper cyberpresse.ca is reporting that Apple has purchased the...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free