Report: Apple has purchased mapping company Poly9
Apple's been on a bit of a shopping spree lately. French-Canadian newspaper cyberpresse.ca is reporting that Apple has purchased the online mapping company Poly9. The paper reports that many of Poly9's employees have been moved to California, and that their website is no longer online.
One of Poly9's products was Poly9 Globe, which presented a zoomable, cross-browser globe that could be rotated and manipulated by the user. You can see it in action here at Skype. If this rumor turns out to be true, it will be the 2nd maps-related purchase Apple has made lately. You'll remember the company grabbed Placebase last year.
What's up with Apple's sudden interest in cartography? I'm sure we'll find out via a future software update.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync