Ouch! Accident at Berkeley Apple Store construction site closes two businesses
There was "A very large bang" at about 9:50 AM on the morning of February 22, according to George Kiskaddon, a partner at the book store Builders Booksource (located next door to the new Apple store). "One wall has been left leaning and bowing into the next door building," he said.
Site workers were apparently digging new foundations on the site of the former
Slater Marinoff building when two of the remaining free-standing walls suddenly sank about four feet into the ground. Fire officers evacuated the neighboring buildings as soon as they arrived as a precautionary measure. "There were no injuries," said Assistant Chief Sabina Imrie of the Berkely fire department, adding that the suspicion is that recent rain may have made the walls' foundations unstable.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync