Photographer Sabine Liewald sues Apple over copyright infringement
No stranger to copyright litigation, Apple will play the defensive role in a suit by photographer Sabine Liewald who alleges the company used a piece of her work without permission. According to details obtained by Patently Apple, the company contacted Liewald's agency, Factory Downtown, and requested a high-resolution version of a photograph titled Eye Closeup strictly for internal layout purposes.
The photograph subsequently popped up on marketing materials for Apple's Retina-equipped MacBook Pro -- as seen above in the court document obtained by Patently Apple -- as well as in the keynote address revealing the new notebook. As you can imagine, this didn't sit well with the Swiss photographer, and she is now seeking to collect an unspecified figure for damages relating to the unlawful use of the image.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app