Photographer Sabine Liewald sues Apple over copyright infringement
No stranger to copyright litigation, Apple will play the defensive role in a suit by photographer Sabine Liewald who alleges the company used a piece of her work without permission. According to details obtained by Patently Apple, the company contacted Liewald's agency, Factory Downtown, and requested a high-resolution version of a photograph titled Eye Closeup strictly for internal layout purposes.
The photograph subsequently popped up on marketing materials for Apple's Retina-equipped MacBook Pro -- as seen above in the court document obtained by Patently Apple -- as well as in the keynote address revealing the new notebook. As you can imagine, this didn't sit well with the Swiss photographer, and she is now seeking to collect an unspecified figure for damages relating to the unlawful use of the image.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter