Apple announces a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display
As expected, Apple announced a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display this morning. "We're taking our best product and introducing something so much better," Phil Schiller said. It's 0.75 inches thin and weighs just over 3.5 pounds, almost a full pound lighter than the previous generation -- the lightest MacBook Pro ever.
The 13-inch model has the exact same ports as the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. Its screen resolution is 2,560 x 1,600, four times the number of pixels of its predecessor. Its pixel count is higher than any competing 13-inch or 15-inch laptop from other manufacturer, displaying almost 2 million more pixels than a typical HDTV.
Like the 15-inch model, it has a 720p FaceTime HD camera and stereo microphones. You can get up to 768 GB of flash memory, Core i5 or i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM, and up to seven hours of battery life.
The 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display is available starting at US$1699 -- $500 less than the base model 15-inch Retina model -- and it ships today.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter