MacBook Pro with Retina display tops Windows 8 laptops, Chromebook in battery test
Mac users who need power, portability and battery longevity can rest easy knowing the latest MacBook Pro outlasts the latest Windows 8 laptops and at least one Chromebook model in battery tests. UK consumer reports magazine Which? tested the battery life of 18 Windows 8 laptops against the latest 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display and a Chromebook.
The tests were run by playing videos from the laptop's hard drive and also browsing the web. The 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display came out on top, lasting 30 minutes longer than the closest Windows 8 laptop in basic web browsing. The MacBook lasted six hours, while the Acer Aspire timeline Ultra M5-581T lasted 5.5 hours. The Acer did have a screen that was two inches larger, but that screen does not support a Retina-type display. When videos were watched on both laptops, the MacBook lasted an hour longer than the Acer. The Samsung Series 3 Chromebook came in a distant third at three hours and 44 minutes.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter