MacBook Pro with Retina display tops Windows 8 laptops, Chromebook in battery test
Mac users who need power, portability and battery longevity can rest easy knowing the latest MacBook Pro outlasts the latest Windows 8 laptops and at least one Chromebook model in battery tests. UK consumer reports magazine Which? tested the battery life of 18 Windows 8 laptops against the latest 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display and a Chromebook.
The tests were run by playing videos from the laptop's hard drive and also browsing the web. The 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display came out on top, lasting 30 minutes longer than the closest Windows 8 laptop in basic web browsing. The MacBook lasted six hours, while the Acer Aspire timeline Ultra M5-581T lasted 5.5 hours. The Acer did have a screen that was two inches larger, but that screen does not support a Retina-type display. When videos were watched on both laptops, the MacBook lasted an hour longer than the Acer. The Samsung Series 3 Chromebook came in a distant third at three hours and 44 minutes.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV