Replacement MacBook batteries recalled due to fire hazard
US big-box store Best Buy has issued a recall for third-party MacBook batteries due to the chance that they may catch on fire. The recall affects 5,100 third-party MacBook batteries sold by the company between September 2008 and June 2012. The batteries were manufactured by a company called ATG and were designed for both the black and the white model MacBooks. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission:
This recall involves both black and white ATG lithium-ion replacement batteries for MacBook Pro notebook computers. Model number "MC-MBOOK13B" is on the label of the black battery and model number "MC-BOOK13W" is on the label of the white battery. The ATG logo is on both batteries.
The firm has received 13 reports that the battery caught fire, including one report of a serious burn to a consumer's leg.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled battery, remove it from the computer and contact Best Buy for a replacement Apple brand battery or a $50 Best Buy gift card as a full refund. Best Buy is contacting its customers directly.
Bestbuy.com and Partstore.com, or shipped to customers through the Geek Squad Protection fulfillment at Best Buy from September 2008 through June 2012 for about $50.
Readers should note that the Consumer Product Safety Commission states that these batteries were for the MacBook Pro, but that is incorrect. These batteries were specifically built for Apple's MacBooks. Consumers with any questions about this recall can contact Best Buy at (888) 737-6954 from 7 AM to 9 PM CT daily or by emailing email@example.com.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features