Apple may double the size of its North Carolina data center
We still don't know what it's for, and it hasn't even officially opened yet, but multiple sources are claiming that Apple is already planning on doubling the size of its North Carolina data center. A local realtor informed Data Center Knowledge that "site work is being performed," which seems to confirm rumors from the Charlotte Business Journal and All Things Digital from last week.
Much speculation has surrounded Apple's intentions for the site since construction began in 2009. The most popular theory so far has been that Apple is planning on launching a streaming music service for iTunes, but with some music industry figures reluctant to even allow Apple to extend the length of its song previews, a subscription-based iTunes may still be far down the road. The data center should be opening soon (at least its first stage, by the sounds of things), so in theory, we should know what it's for fairly soon, too.
We still don't know what it's for, and it hasn't even officially opened yet, but multiple sources are claiming that Apple is already...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time
- Google Now added to search app on iPhone, iPad
- GateGuru for iPhone has been updated and greatly improved
- Twitter updates its OS X client