Apple highlights self-published iBooks with new Breakout Books section
In a move intended to make discovering independent authors easier on the iBookstore, Apple has launched a new sub-section of the US iTunes Store called Breakout Books. Previously rolled out in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK, the section is meant to promote titles from writers who've opted to go it alone in the world of iBooks, offering selections from various genres added as -- in Apple's words -- "they begin to take off."
Currently, the section has indie offerings broken down into romance, sci-fi & fantasy and mysteries & thrillers. We're not exactly sure why Apple chose to spotlight romance novels above everything else, but we're guessing it has something to do with the fact that Valentine's Day is right around the corner. Or maybe romance novels are just that popular on iTunes? If that's the case, look for our new book, Someone TUAW Love, to hit the iBookstore soon!
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter