Phil Schiller tweets followers: "Be safe out there"
Apple senior vice president of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller isn't known for using Twitter all that much, but he tweeted a link today and warned his followers to "Be safe out there."
What was the link? It was to a Mobile Threat Report (PDF) from F-Secure, which highlighted a number of security and malware issues in the Android operating system. Apple's own iOS mobile operating system was only mentioned in passing in the report.
The report shows that in 2012, Android accounted for 79 percent of all mobile threats, while iOS barely registered with only 0.7 percent of threats. Jordan Golson of MacRumors suggests that Schiller's tweet could be part of a move by Apple's PR group to paint the company in a more favorable light.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter