Phil Schiller tweets followers: "Be safe out there"
Apple senior vice president of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller isn't known for using Twitter all that much, but he tweeted a link today and warned his followers to "Be safe out there."
What was the link? It was to a Mobile Threat Report (PDF) from F-Secure, which highlighted a number of security and malware issues in the Android operating system. Apple's own iOS mobile operating system was only mentioned in passing in the report.
The report shows that in 2012, Android accounted for 79 percent of all mobile threats, while iOS barely registered with only 0.7 percent of threats. Jordan Golson of MacRumors suggests that Schiller's tweet could be part of a move by Apple's PR group to paint the company in a more favorable light.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)