Three things you (probably) didn't know about OS X Mavericks' name
- Mavericks is a surfing spot near Pillar Point Harbor in Northern California.
- Not only is it OS X's first non-cat name, it's actually named after a German Shepard named Maverick. Hard to say how many place names in California are named after dogs, but it could be an interesting trend.
- The name is a possessive, not a plural (several Mavericks).
Update: An anonymous tipster adds: "One other note about Mavericks - it is located very near Half Moon Bay where several Apple execs (Phil Schiller and others) live. You didn't hear this from me."
Mavericks is a surfing spot near Pillar Point Harbor in Northern California. Not only is it OS X's first non-cat name, it's actually...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free