Three things you (probably) didn't know about OS X Mavericks' name
- Mavericks is a surfing spot near Pillar Point Harbor in Northern California.
- Not only is it OS X's first non-cat name, it's actually named after a German Shepard named Maverick. Hard to say how many place names in California are named after dogs, but it could be an interesting trend.
- The name is a possessive, not a plural (several Mavericks).
Update: An anonymous tipster adds: "One other note about Mavericks - it is located very near Half Moon Bay where several Apple execs (Phil Schiller and others) live. You didn't hear this from me."
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app