Three things you (probably) didn't know about OS X Mavericks' name
- Mavericks is a surfing spot near Pillar Point Harbor in Northern California.
- Not only is it OS X's first non-cat name, it's actually named after a German Shepard named Maverick. Hard to say how many place names in California are named after dogs, but it could be an interesting trend.
- The name is a possessive, not a plural (several Mavericks).
Update: An anonymous tipster adds: "One other note about Mavericks - it is located very near Half Moon Bay where several Apple execs (Phil Schiller and others) live. You didn't hear this from me."
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature