Apple hit with second class action suit regarding overtime pay
For the second time, Apple has been hit with a class action lawsuit from a former employee who claims that he was not fairly compensated for "off the clock" activities that should have been subject to overtime pay. Recall that a similar suit was filed against Apple back in July of this year.
The latest lawsuit was filed by Taylor Kalin, who worked for more than two years at an Apple retail store in Spokane, Wash. Kalin alleges that as an employee, he was required to stand in line in order to check devices in and out. What's more, he was also required to stand in line for security checks before leaving on his lunch break for the day. These lines, the suit alleges, were often so long that employees would routinely have to wait upwards of 30 minutes before being able to leave, even though they were already off the clock.
Kalin's attorney, Peter R. Dion-Kindem, explained to Law360:
Apple has the policy and practice of forcing its employees to undergo security screenings when leaving for lunch and at the end of the day, but fails to compensate its employees for the time they are forced to wait in these lines.
Apple also improperly fails to pay its employees for time spent waiting to 'clock in' before work and after meal breaks and for time checking in equipment used by its employees.
Kalin is asking for statutory damages, restitution, injunctive relief and attorneys fees.
For the second time, Apple has been hit with a class action lawsuit from a former employee who claims that he was not fairly...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update
- Today in the App Store -- the best free apps, new apps and app updates