The 'warrant canary' in Apple's compliance report
There was an interesting nugget we glanced over regarding Apple's report detailing its compliance with various government information requests.
In the Notes section of the report, located at the very bottom, Apple writes:
Apple has never received an order under Section 215 of the USA Patriot Act. We would expect to challenge such an order if served on us.
So why is that so interesting?
Well, if Apple had in fact received an order under Section 215 of the Patriot Act, it wouldn't be legally allowed to admit it. Consequently, if the aforementioned language is removed in future compliance reports from Apple, it would stand to reason that Apple had since received an order under the Patriot Act.
And apparently, this clever little number is referred to as a warrant canary.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync