Blast from the Past: Apple acquires NeXT
The deal offers $350 million in cash and stock as well as covering about $50 million of NeXT's debts. Apple suggests that it will start shipping products using NeXT's new OS some time in 1997. After abandoning Copland, some had predicted Apple would acquire the Be operating system.
RixStep hosts a copy of the early 1997 letter sent to NeXT customers regarding the Apple/NeXT Merger as part of its Red Hat Diaries. In this letter, Gil Amelio promises to continue to develop and enhance WebObjects and to provide cross-platform support for QuickTime. He looked forward to WebObjects running on Power Macs in short order.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app