Steve Jobs to take a medical leave of absence
According to wire reports, Steve Jobs sent out an email to Apple staff stating that he is taking a medical leave of absence. In the email, reproduced by BusinessWire here, Tim Cook is named as being in charge of Apple's day to day operations for an indeterminate amount of time; Steve will remain CEO and weigh in on strategic decisions. The text of the note is below:
At my request, the board of directors has granted me a medical leave of absence so I can focus on my health. I will continue as CEO and be involved in major strategic decisions for the company.I have asked Tim Cook to be responsible for all of Apple's day to day operations. I have great confidence that Tim and the rest of the executive management team will do a terrific job executing the exciting plans we have in place for 2011.I love Apple so much and hope to be back as soon as I can. In the meantime, my family and I would deeply appreciate respect for our privacy.
Jobs had a liver transplant in 2009 to treat complications from pancreatic cancer.
All of us at TUAW extend our best wishes for a rapid recovery to Steve and our support to his family, friends and colleagues at Apple.
According to wire reports, Steve Jobs sent out an email to Apple staff stating that he is taking a medical leave of absence. In the email,...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free