New iOS 5 features beyond the top ten
While Apple demoed ten huge new iOS 5 features at WWDC earlier today, it also mentioned several more in passing that are worth looking at. By far the biggest deal is Wi-Fi syncing to iTunes -- you no longer have to plug your iPhone or iPad into your Mac to sync your content. The iPad can now wirelessly mirror all of its onscreen content over AirPlay, and it's also getting some new multitasking gestures.
Some other new iOS 5 features that only got mentioned on a single Keynote slide:
Set tones for voicemail, mail and calendar alerts (no mention of SMS tones, unfortunately).
- New iPad music app
- Smart Playlist sync from iTunes
- Option to speak text selection
- iTunes Tone Store
- Built-in dictionary
- Emoji emoticons
- Personal dictionary
- Alternate routes in Maps
- Improved FaceTime video quality
These are just some of the more than 200 features Apple says are coming in iOS 5, which is expected this fall.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync