Apple confirms purchase of flash memory firm Anobit
Apple spokesperson Steve Dowling spoke to Bloomberg's Business Week and confirmed the company purchased Anobit, an Israeli-based flash memory firm. Israeli newspaper Calcalist broke the story in December, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu corroborated the news when he tweeted a welcoming message to Apple.
Apple's acquisition of Anobit is the company's first step into Israel, a place that's becoming a hotbed of technology. The company probably attracted Apple's attention because of its memory signal processing technology, which increases the performance of flash memory.
Dowling did not provide details on the deal. He only said, "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter