Passbook creates unified location for pass-storing
Apple is creating an app in iOS 6 that's the digital equivalent of stringing frequent-shopper cards on a keychain. Passbook allows you to store these sorts of cards, airline passes, movie tickets and more. The passes will appear on the lock screen. Swipe the notification, and a QR code will appear. Other businesses glimpsed include Starbucks, Amtrak, the Apple Store -- even a Giants baseball ticket!
As far as airlines go, it looks like just United Airlines is onboard for now. Multiple boarding passes are grouped together. It's integrated with the notifications center -- being near a favorite Starbucks will alert you. You also can get gate changes and more information with the airline tickets.
This sort of usability will be fantastic, and I would love to see more businesses and libraries get on board with this. It will definitely reduce the amount of time spent hunting in your wallet for a particular card.
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time