Apple buying land for expansion in Austin, Texas
In May of this year, Apple worked with local and state officials in Texas to secure an economic development package with the promise of expanding its presence in the city of Austin. Now the company is following up on its promise, buying up land in Austin to begin the expansion.
The Austin Business Journal reported that Apple purchased three tracts of land adjacent to the current campus at 12545 Riata Vista Circle. While the acreage and purchase price are unknown, Apple plans to build facilities on the site for sales, customer support, and accounting employees. Almost 3,700 new jobs are expected to be created by 2025.
It's expected that Apple will soon begin construction on a 800,000-square-foot office complex to house the new employees at a cost of about US$226 million.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options