WSJ: Apple testing 13-inch iPads, iPhones larger than four inches
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple is testing iPads with screens measuring "slightly less" than 13 inches and also iPhones with screens larger than four inches:
In recent months, Apple has asked for prototype smartphone screens larger than four inches and has also asked for screen designs for a new tablet device measuring slightly less than 13 inches diagonally, they said. The current iPhone 5 has a four-inch screen, while the iPad has a 9.7-inch screen. The iPad mini, a stripped-down version of its tablet computer, has a 7.9-inch screen.
Reports of an almost-13-inch iPad may seem bizarre, but the Wall Street Journal has a good track record with Apple rumors. The paper also notes that it's entirely possible that these iPads may never see the light of day. An iPhone with a screen larger than four inches might be easier for people to believe and seems more reasonable than Apple releasing a 13-inch iPad. However, months before Apple introduced a 17-inch MacBook Pro, the rumors of such a device were quickly dismissed as most laptops at the time didn't go any larger than 15 inches. Then the 17-inch MacBook Pro did come out and lead the way for higher-end professional laptops for years to come.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free