Morning news roundup for January 3
Good morning, everyone. While the northeastern United States is buried in show, Apple fans in the southern hemisphere are enjoying a warm, sunny day. What a world! Let's look at the Apple news, shall we?
- Apple's iBeacon tech to be featured at CES. The CEA is setting up a scavenger hunt of sorts, and it will be powered by iBeacon technology. Attendees will be able to collect "badges" from the various iBeacon sites; the first three players to collect the full set will win a prize.
- Best Buy drops price of iPhone 5s for New Year's sale. The US big-box store has dropped the price of a 16 GB iPhone 5s to US$125 until January 5. That's a pretty good deal.
- Killer Apple TV tips. There's a thread on Reddit of great Apple TV tips, including several I didn't know.
- AT&T announces up to $450 in credits to customers who switch from T-Mobile. Begun these carrier wars have!
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features