Apple awarded more than a thousand patents in 2012
We've written an awful lot regarding patents in the past 12 months. As it turns out, during that time Apple has been awarded a quite a few new ones for us to spend the next several decades talking about. In fact, The New York Times reports that 1 Infinite Loop was awarded 1,136 new patents in 2012 alone.
That number was up a whopping 68 percent over 2011, earning Apple the 22nd spot on a list of 50 companies led by IBM, which was awarded 6,478 patents in 2012. Apple rival Samsung came in second with 5,081 patents awarded; Google ranked just one spot ahead of Apple with 1,152 patents. Microsoft placed sixth, having been granted 2,613 new patents.
Apple placed No. 39 on the same ranking for 2011, when it was awarded 676 patents. It should be interesting to see how many of 2012's patents find applications in actual products. Not as interesting: How many are brought to bear in lawsuits against competitors or how many are found to be invalid by a court.
[Via Apple Insider]
We've written an awful lot regarding patents in the past 12 months. As it turns out, during that time Apple has been awarded a quite a...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Evernote introduces reminders to Mac, iOS apps
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements