Chinese smear campaign against Apple backfires badly
China Central Television recently singled out Apple for its shoddy products and poor customer service in a three-hour documentary. According to M.I.C. Gadget, a gaffe by a celebrity may have exposed this film as nothing but propaganda.
The conspiracy started when Taiwanese-American celebrity Peter Ho and other influencers used Chinese social network Weibo to post negative comments about Apple during the TV broadcast. The post by Ho caught they eye of readers who noticed the unusual phrase, "To be posted at around 8:20," appended at the end. This phrase doesn't fit in with Ho's accusation against Apple and suggests he accidentally pasted both text and instructions provided to him by someone else.
Two hours later, Ho deleted the post and claimed someone hacked his account. Ironically, M.I.C. Gadget points out that most of the people posting negative comments against Apple were using Apple devices to decry the evil ways of the Cupertino company.
You can read more about the controversy surrounding these Weibo posts and the China Central Television report in the article on M.I.C. Gadget's website.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature