Apple applauds Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage
In the wake of the Supreme Court overturning the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), Apple issued a statement to All Things D praising the decision.
"Apple strongly supports marriage equality and we consider it a civil rights issue. We applaud the Supreme Court for its decisions today," an Apple spokesman told AllThingsD in a statement.
Apple, of course, has long been a vocal supporter of gay rights. The company this past March lent its support to have California's Prop 8 deemed unconstitutional, noting in a statement provided to All Things D at the time that "Apple strongly supports marriage equality and we hope the Supreme Court will declare the law unconstitutional."
Before that, Apple put its money where its mouth is, donating $100,000 back in 2008 in an effort to fight against California's Prop 8.
In a statement issued at the time, Apple said:
Apple was among the first California companies to offer equal rights and benefits to our employees' same-sex partners, and we strongly believe that a person's fundamental rights -- including the right to marry -- should not be affected by their sexual orientation.
In the wake of the Supreme Court overturning the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), Apple issued a statement to All Things D praising the...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs