Apple applauds Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage
In the wake of the Supreme Court overturning the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), Apple issued a statement to All Things D praising the decision.
"Apple strongly supports marriage equality and we consider it a civil rights issue. We applaud the Supreme Court for its decisions today," an Apple spokesman told AllThingsD in a statement.
Apple, of course, has long been a vocal supporter of gay rights. The company this past March lent its support to have California's Prop 8 deemed unconstitutional, noting in a statement provided to All Things D at the time that "Apple strongly supports marriage equality and we hope the Supreme Court will declare the law unconstitutional."
Before that, Apple put its money where its mouth is, donating $100,000 back in 2008 in an effort to fight against California's Prop 8.
In a statement issued at the time, Apple said:
Apple was among the first California companies to offer equal rights and benefits to our employees' same-sex partners, and we strongly believe that a person's fundamental rights -- including the right to marry -- should not be affected by their sexual orientation.
In the wake of the Supreme Court overturning the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), Apple issued a statement to All Things D praising the...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update
- Today in the App Store -- the best free apps, new apps and app updates