Next release of iTunes may kill off Ping
Ping was announced by Steve Jobs during Apple's Fall 2010 music event and launched that same day. Despite a few early successes with the product, the social network never caught on with Apple users and a recent report from AllThingsD suggests it never will.
Speaking at the recent AllThingsD D10 conference, Cook confirmed that Ping was not something customers wanted "to put a lot of energy into." Rather than try to resurrect the floundering social network, sources told AllThingsD that the upcoming fall release of iTunes will remove Ping and replace it with Twitter and Facebook for social sharing.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options