Next release of iTunes may kill off Ping
Ping was announced by Steve Jobs during Apple's Fall 2010 music event and launched that same day. Despite a few early successes with the product, the social network never caught on with Apple users and a recent report from AllThingsD suggests it never will.
Speaking at the recent AllThingsD D10 conference, Cook confirmed that Ping was not something customers wanted "to put a lot of energy into." Rather than try to resurrect the floundering social network, sources told AllThingsD that the upcoming fall release of iTunes will remove Ping and replace it with Twitter and Facebook for social sharing.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync