Apple's Developer Center hacked by security researcher to highlight security hole
Last night, we reported that Apple confirmed that its Developer Center was hacked and taken offline as a precaution, but now a UK security researcher named Ibrahim Balic says he is the one who performed the hack to highlight a security hole that could leave developer data exposed. As The Next Web reports:
Balic claims that [he] showed Apple 73 user accounts from its own workers to illustrate the flaw when he contacted the company to help them fix it. Though he admits he managed to get hold of data from more than 100,000 users, he maintains he did not hack the system for malicious purposes.
Balic also says that he is "a bit irritated" Apple is citing the incident as an attempted security breach. Below is a video he posted on YouTube citing his motives and showing how he did the hack.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration